Lately, the people closest to me have been telling me that I’m becoming too focused on my career. I am at a loss. My wife wants me to have more fun. She doesn’t like that I always have my cell phone in-hand in case I get an email requiring a quick response; that I take nearly every spare moment to work on some aspect of my career; that I have ZERO interest in parties, weekend hangtime with friends, or any unproductive time in general.
I see her point. I do. And maybe it’s getting out of hand, but I don’t feel comfortable kicking back when I see how much ground I have to cover. I’ve always believed that the phrase “a business that runs itself” really means no one’s running the business. And technically, my acting career is a business. My knee-jerk reaction is, “I’ll have fun when I get there.” However...
I can’t stop thinking about the lost moments of each day. Of today. When I think about what inspires me as an artist, let me tell ya’, it ain’t a non-stop work environment. It’s the whimsical thoughts that are the children of daydreams. It’s time spent with my wife and children without glancing at the clock to see if their allotted time with me has expired. It’s the excitement of not knowing where the day will take me because I chose not to plan it out. These are a few of the simple pleasures I haven't enjoyed in a while.
Has anyone out there ever run into this problem? How does a person strike a balance between creating a future and being present for today?

No comments:
Post a Comment