The past week has been insanely busy for me. Let's review: I took an acting workshop, I had lines to memorize for class, I had to decide whether or not to take an audition in Austin that my local agent found for me to which I would have had to drive 3 hours (I passed), my 5 year old was detained at her elementary school for two hours past the normal release time while a team of tornadoes cut through Dallas, I had to scramble to find someone to hire to videotape another of my auditions so I could send to my agent in Baton Rouge for a chance to get on the TV show Army Wives, and lastly, today I had to make a difficult call to my third agent in New Mexico to tell her that I've decided to leave her agency and allow my Dallas agent to handle my auditions in New Mexico and California as well as the local ones. All this plus being a husband, father, and sole financial support for my little family.
I know it's not for nothing, but sometimes I feel like, in building my acting career, I'm merely volunteering instead of working. This is what it's like sometimes. This is why so many people like the idea of being an actor until they give it a shot. It's a second job whose income fluctuates from really well to nothing at all. It may sound like I'm getting burned out. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I love this crazy life of mine and I know that when I do reach a point in my career when the paydays are so great that the time off between jobs will be considered a hiatus, I will look back fondly at these times of struggle. I know this is true because I feel a great fondness for them right now.

No comments:
Post a Comment